DON BOSCO, PANJIM – GOA
ITS FOUNDATION AND DEVELOPMENT (1946 – 2006)
60 years of Presence
A HISTORICAL OVERVIEW
DATE OF COMMENCEMENT AND ESTABLISHMENT OF THE HOUSE
With the arrival of Fr. (Mons.) Vincent Scuderi from the War Camps on 4th April 1946.
The Contract for the Rent of the House in the present premises of Don Bosco, Panjim was drawn up for a period of 31 months on November 22, 1946.
The house was canonically erected in 1953.
WHY THE HOUSE WAS STARTED
From a faith point of view, it appears that God wanted it. One may say that it was the work of Divine Providence. It just had to happen! No pre-planning! Circumstances seem to have made it happen! The work began through the instrumentality of Fr. Scuderi and the first salesians who quit the Concentration (War) Camps and could not go to any other part of British India.Goa was under the Portuguese at the time. Hence it was neutral during the war. The broad outlook and big heart of good Fr. Carreno, the then Provincial of the Madras Province who never flinched when he saw the opportunity to do some good, did the rest. God’s hand was evident!
THE FIRST ACTIVITIES
Daily and Festive Oratories (in various localities), Portuguese School, English Medium School, Workshops like Carpentry, Mechanics, Welding, Printing, Boarding School and Religious services [mainly for boys but a few adults would join].
SALESIANS WHEN THE WORK BEGAN
Fathers Vincent Scuderi, Joseph Moja, Aloysius Ravalico, Odorico Berti, Fiorenzo Zola, John Mora and Serafino Colombo.
The Aspirantate, a Shrine to Our Lady of Fatima, a Secondary and Higher Secondary Night School for working boys, A Pre-primary school, the Don Bosco High School, the Don Bosco Higher Secondary School, the Don Bosco College offering a BCA (Com.), BTTM, BPEd, BBA, BMM the Carreno Counselling Services.